So we have just turned the corner with our sights set on the 90-day home-stretch, aka, the third trimester. George and I were recently reflecting on the ages of friends' children and how the presence of children seems to inherently lead to counting the years - making them fly by even faster than normal. But, as I think about the time that has passed and the weeks that remain before our little one arrives, I just can't decide if time is flying by or standing still.
Back in May, I thought we had a lifetime before I had to worry about picking out onesies or paint colors. And, even now, after only 6 months, I feel like I've been pregnant forever. It's hard to remember the days when I could freely eat what I wanted, or when I enjoyed a pint of beer as a summer refreshment - not because Guinness seems to be the best relief for indegestion (second only to milk).
Somewhere early on, I read a mother's advice online: to enjoy each moment for what it brings, to live for each day because it all goes by so quickly. We've tried not to read too far ahead in any of our literature as to not fall into the trap of waiting and anticipating for the next stage to come and to just appreciate the new changes that come with each month, each week, and each day. This approach has definitely allowed us to take it all in, bit by bit, and indulge in each new adventure, from seeing the baby grow by leaps and bounds in the ultrasounds, to experiencing the baby's movements, to feeling grateful as we reach each benchmark in good health. And, perhaps most importantly, it has given us the freedom to enjoy these last few months without feeling over-pressured to complete our registries, pick out furniture, and get caught up in all the craziness that can overshadow the beauty of this whole experience.
But as I look at that little phone app counting down the days, with today's count at 89-to-go, it hits me. Have we been indulging and appreciating, or just procrastinating??? Yes, I still have an entire trimester to go before the big day. But in most life situations, 90 days isn't a whole lot of time. Really, how many times have you had to settle for store credit (or worse, keeping the ugly sweater) because the 90-day return period flew by before you could get back to the store? And, our final 90 days also happens to include the big holiday season, and we all know once Halloween hits, it might as well be New Years Day.
So, now, I can't help but feel the pressure to kick things into high gear. Last weekend, George's parents came to visit and generously bought us our first piece of equipment. After 2 hours in Babies R Us, George and I mustered up the courage to commit to a stroller. And the other day, George actually took it out of the box and - oh so efficiently and successfully - put it together. Let the games begin! Over the next couple weekends, we'll convert the guestroom into the baby's room and take our childbirth class. I've started putting together spreadsheets and checklists for co-workers to cover for my maternity leave. And, we've officially turned our wishlists into actual registries on BabiesRUs.com and BabyEarth.com.
Ready or not, these next few months are coming and will be gone before we know it. BUT, and anyone who knows me will confirm, I've never been criticized for moving particularly quickly, and, frankly, I don't think I'm going to start now. Sure, there's plenty to get done, and some of it might not happen until after baby arrives (especially if that arrival comes ahead of schedule). But, we're going to take that wise, online mother's advice, and take in each day to the fullest. It's worked for us so far, and just like the doctors say about excercise: if it's what you're used to and what you've done before you were pregnant, then there's no reason to not do it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment