Monday, July 12, 2010

Turning the corner...

We are in the 13th week, and officially turning the corner from 1st to second. I'm happy to say my energy is up - although the 9pm bedtime has been replaced with late nights of unexpected energy. It's been good for work as the great ideas seem to flow around 11:30pm. (Another example of the new "normal": "late nights" no longer refers to the early morning hours.)

We've been spreading the word to family, friends, and co-workers. These last few weeks have been a bit tough. I'm usually pretty upbeat and always on the go. So I was feeling a bit self-conscious when I'd have to excuse myself to my office or home for a nap (sometimes with my eyes open just to control too much suspicion), when I'd forget things in the middle of a sentence, or when I'd see my belly starting to hang over my belt...It's a relief now that people know all of this is with very good reason.

Still, I'd say the 12th and 13th week have been the most elusive. Yes, my eating habits are nothing like they used to be, and neither are my workouts, but most of the time, I forget I'm even pregnant. Then, I read something about how much the baby has grown and developed, and I'm astonished by how much is happening inside my body and I don't even know it. It might not be cool to say this, but it sometimes gets me a little freaked out. I guess in a few more weeks, I'll have a rounder belly for a visual, but for now, it's still just sinking in.

For those of you just about to give birth, or raising your baby now, I don't know if I'm ready for your world. I made the mistake of just "checking out" a couple of shopping websites. I don't know what people are doing with strollers these days, but even if it DID have a video demo, I was completely lost! I thought registering for our wedding or shopping for our house was a little overwhelming, but the baby supply industry is out of control. We're going to put that adventure on hold for at least a couple more months, at which time, we'll welcome user reviews, advice, and even pre-assembled hand-me-downs!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if its "cool", but I get freaked out too! Another weird thought for you- the baby now looks like a baby, albeit a teeny tiny version, but it is pretty much baby formed. Now to just grow grow grow.
    love you
    Bethy

    ReplyDelete